Re: Free documents using non-free fonts - can they be in main?

(This is in reply to <[🔎] 86fym0g7cg.fsf@alhambra.kuesterei.ch>. Sorry about the thread-breaking....thought I should reply to this quickly rather than waiting to get to a better computer.)

Frank Kuester wrote:
Are you sure?  Isn't it the same as a program that contains in its
sources a binary blob that's copied as-is to the executable, and the
binary blob is non-free?  Just that here the "binary blob", i.e. the
embedded fonts, is not even in the sources?

You're right. I was wrong and confused. I somehow (I don't know how) misread your original message, and missed that you were discussing distributing the compiled document (with the fonts embedded) in the binary package.

Yes, the generated .pdfs are definitely non-free, because they embed the non-free fonts.

The source files are free.

I think it's possible to generate .pdf files which do not embed the font (in at least some cases), right? That's what I was thinking of.