Re: Free documents using non-free fonts - can they be in main?

Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> wrote:
Also, everything in orig.tar.gz must be DFSG free.

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
Err, of course.  That's why I ask.  Does debian-legal think that a
document with a DFSG-free license and with sources available except for
the embedded fonts is DFSG-free or not?

If the pdf includes non-free font implementations, then this is just plain non-free (and perhaps non-distributable if the source is GPL). If it just includes a reference by name to a non-free font, it's free, but useless to Debian.

I don't want to hear technical comments whether it is desirable or
doable to rebuild the documentation, but whether it is legally possible
to distribute such documents.

Legally possible: yes. Useful to Debian: no. I'd say to put it in non-free or contrib even if it technically doesn't violate the DFSG.