Re: Packaging fst and dssi-vst

On Thu, 02, Mar, 2006 at 10:26:46AM +0100, Free Ekanayaka spoke thus..
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to one or both of these two applications:
>
> http://dssi.sourceforge.net
> http://joebutton.co.uk/fst/
>
> in Debian. Basically they allow running VST audio plugins under Linux,
> using wine.
>
> Both  of them are GPL,  but unfortunately depend  at build time on the
> VST SDK, which is non-free:
>
> http://www.steinberg.de/Steinberg/Developers8b99.html
>
> However, once compiled, they do not need the above headers anymore.

Well, first of all, DSSI itself is in Debian main already (see pkg-dssi
on alioth) and doesn't require the VST SDK to build.  Some plugins for
dssi may require the VST SDK and will need to be in non-free as far as I
can tell, however there are other plugins written directly for DSSI
which are GPL/BSD/whatever from scratch.

Mark

--
Mark Hymers <mark.hymers@ncl.ac.uk>

"I told you I was ill"
     The epitaph of Spike Milligan (1918-2002)