Re: Adobe open source license -- is this licence free?

On 1/30/06, Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Doesn't this cause problems when the code is forked?  If someone in
> France forks the code, then they have to travel to Scotland to defend
> themselves against any frivolous lawsuits.  That allows the original
> licensors a bit more control over the code than might be desired.

This is a real issue, and I would not have any problem asking the
folks at Adobe if they could clean up the way the license addresses
this case.

But I think we should also come up with one or more somewhat
plausible suggestions, to give an idea of what we're looking for.

As a rough first cut, perhaps:

  "Any dispute naming Adobe as a defendant, arising out of or
   related to this Agreement shall be brought in the courts of Santa
   Clara County, California, USA."

(I don't think this creates any unusual advantage for Adobe
because authors of derivative works can impose a similar
requirement on their work.)

--
Raul