Re: Adobe open source license -- is this licence free?

On 1/29/06, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> On that line of reasoning, "people who don't live in California" are,
> too.  But we both know how weak arguing on DFSG#5 tends to be.
>
> I think the traditional argument is that restrictions on *use* of the
> software indicate an EULA, since simple copyright can not, in theory,
> restrict the use of software obtained legally.  This implies that any
> license that restricts use requires a click-through license.  Their
> implementation requires strict restrictions on distribution, to ensure
> that all recipients agree to it, and that falls widely afoul of DFSG#1.

I think DFSG#5 was written not because of this, but because of
licenses that exclude some uses of the software, e.g. nuclear weapons
factories, animal torture and things that people dislike. The choice
of venue clause is a minor discrimination, and not one which I think
deserves so much attention.

andrew

--
Andrew Donnellan