Re: Adobe open source license -- is this licence free?

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 06:56:20PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On 1/27/06, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> > There are non-malicious reasons for releasing software under completely
> > proprietary licenses.  Good intentions don't make a restriction more free.
>
> Nor do bad intentions make a restriction non-free.

Indeed, which is why we don't base our arguments upon intent, and which
the "tentacles of evil" test fundamentally explains.

> "Adobe might go nuts and harrass people" is independent of
> any license provision.  There's also little or no evidence that
> changing this jurisdiction clause would make the software
> any more free, even if we hypothesize that someone crazy at
> Adobe is going to start harassing users of this software using
> specious court actions, starting next week.

There have been plenty of arguments why the choice of venue clause makes
it easier and cheaper for Adobe to go nuts and harrass people, and I
havn't seen a single argument why choice of venue shouldn't be restricted
to claims made against the copyright holder.

--
Glenn Maynard