Re: Ironies abound (was Re: GPL v3 draft)

mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk wrote:

>I'm not going to defend patch clauses. I think they're massively
>horrible things, and the world would be a better place without them. But
>deciding that they're not free any more would involve altering our
>standards of freedom, and I don't see any way that we can reasonably do
>that.
Agreed. The original DFSG used to reflect pretty well what was the
consensus about freedom in the free software community (not just
Debian). While patch clauses are indeed highly annoying they have always
been widely considered free, both in and outside Debian.
It's unfortunate that, after trying for years to subtly change its
meaning, newcomers now are proposing to radically remove some of its
balances.

--
ciao,
Marco