Re: Is libreludedb DFSG compliant?

El jueves, 29 de diciembre de 2005 a las 15:54:51 +0100, Mickael Profeta escribía:

> If you link LibPreludeDB against other code all of which is itself licensed
> under the GNU General Public License, version 2 dated June 1991 ("GPL v2"),
> then you may use Libprelude under the terms of the GPL v2, as appearing in
> the file COPYING.  If the file COPYING is missing, you can obtain a copy of
> the GPL v2 from the Free Software Foundation Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth
> Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.
> For any other uses of LibPreludeDB, you must first obtain a commercial
> license from PreludeIDS Technologies SARL.  Please contact
> info@prelude-ids.com for information about commercial licensing.

 This wording makes it look like it is GPLed only if it is linked against a
preexisting GPLed work. That is, if you want to take libPreludeDB out of
Prelude and modify it, you can't because it's not GPLed.

 To have this fixed properly, I'd suggest using the standard "This program
is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms
of the GNU General Public License" bit, plus an additional paragraph that
states that you can make use of the library under other terms if you obtain
a commercial license from PreludeIDS Technologies SARL.

 You can use eZPublish's licensing scheme as a guide.

--
   Jacobo Tarrío     |     http://jacobo.tarrio.org/