Re: contrib or main?

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 09:03:19AM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> gngb is in main, gnuboy is in contrib.  They both are GPLed, so the obvious
> question is, what's the difference?
>
> If requiring non-free ROMs to run justifies putting it in contrib, then I think
> gngb should be moved.  Otherwise it's gnuboy that should be moved.

main, definitely. There is a thriving community of developers of free
gameboy games intended to run on these emulators. Don't ask me why, it
makes no sense as far as I can see, but they're out there. One example
is here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengbgames

So you don't need non-free rom images. I presume the difference is
that one maintainer knew this and the other didn't.

(Please resist the urge to package them just to prove a point, we
already have enough stuff in the archive with no point at all; their
mere existence is sufficient)

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |