Re: KJV Bible - Crown Copyright in UK

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 10:52:20AM -0600, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On 11/8/05, Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 06:03:45PM +0000, W. Borgert wrote:

>>> According to Christian belief, the bible is the "word of God".
>>> According to Nietzsche (in 1882), "God is dead".  So the author of
>>> the bible is dead since at least 120 years.  How can the copyright
>>> still hold?

>> Your argument is flawed: G-od is the direct author of the
>> *original* version of *part* the Bible, namely the Pentateuch. The
>> KJV is a derivative work made in the early 1600s.

> And your argument is flawed.  God himself didn't directly author any
> part of the Bible at all. ;-) According to Christian doctrine, God
> *inspired* various people to write the *entire Bible*.  According to
> Jewish doctrine, the same holds true for the Torah.

Jewish "doctrine" says that the Torah (the Pentateuch) was *dictated*
to Moses by G-od. Word by word (including the telling of Moses'
death). According to the same doctrine, the rest of the Tanach (bible)
is historical human-written records of G-od inspired events and
containing records of G-od inspired speeches, etc.

I'm not 100% sure if Christian doctrine diverges there.

This is getting completely off-topic. Stopping here.

--
Lionel