Re: Ubuntu CDs contain no sources

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 02:38:50PM -0500, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-11 at 11:57 -0200, cascardo@minaslivre.org wrote:
>
> > What do you people in debian-legal think about people who distribute
> > ISO images on their websites but no ISO with sources nor a written
> > promise? Should we consider there is an implicit offer and just ask
> > for the sources?
>
> What does this have to do with Debian?
>
> ~ESP
>
> --
> Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org>
> The Debian Project (http://www.debian.org/)

There seems to be some people who offer access to copy dpkg and other
Debian related tools (mainly debian derivative free software
distribution) who doesn't offer equivalent access to copy from the
same place. Most of them usually ignore this GPL requirement. Since
some copyright holders of some of those software are Debian developers
and this list concerns legal issues related to Debian, it seemed to be
the best list to discuss it.

If there is any people concerned with this situation that would
require more than a simple response like "sources are available in
debian repository" from the distributors, we can check each
distribution that is violating the GPL by not offering the source.

--
Thadeu Cascardo