Re: Custom license question (Glk libraries)

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 03:18:00PM -0500, Joe Smith wrote:

> >[1] http://www.eblong.com/zarf/glk/
>
> Ah. Zarf. Quite a fascinating fellow. :)

Right :)

> >The source code in this package is copyright 1998-9 by Andrew Plotkin. You
> >may copy and distribute it freely, by any means and under any conditions,
> >as long as the code and documentation is not changed. You may also
> >incorporate this code into your own program and distribute that, or modify
> >this code and use and distribute the modified version, as long as you
> >retain a notice in your program or documentation which mentions my name and
> >the URL shown above.

> Definiately DFSG-free.
>
> As fo GPL-compatible.... probably. Strictly speaking even the X11 licence
> is not GPL compatible, because it has a restriciton
> not found in the GPL: maintaing a copy of the terms of the X11 licence.
> However we overlook that normally. I figure if that is ignored, the
> requirement of including only a name and url is an ignorable
> incompatibility also.

Fine. So, as I understand, the only possible problem is documentation,
since the license doesn't explicitly give permission to modify it or
distribute modified versions. It's only speaking of 'the code'.

All the documentation in these libraries is a few README/TODO files,
with no copyright information inside. Does this mean that in principle
I should either drop them or ask Zarf to mention them in the license?
This seems a bit extreme, and I wouldn't like to bother him if there's
no need...

Thanks for your answers,
--
Niko Tyni	ntyni@iki.fi