Releasing software sponsored by an employer

As part of my "day job," I'm working on a piece of Debian-specific software.
I would like to release it under the GPL and the company is receptive, but
we're not sure about the exact mechanism we should use.

Obviously, since it was written using their time and resources, they hold
copyright on it. They would like to retain ownership, so copyright
assignment or a quit claim isn't feasible. (In other words, we don't want to
follow the GPL's fictitious Yoyodyne example where the company disclaims
copyright.)

I'm wondering what kind of documentation we should have that explicitly
authorizes me to release this software (copyright still held by the company)
to the public under a DFSG compliant license.

Thanks!

john
--
John Morrissey          _o            /\         ----  __o