Re: Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL) for Debian

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 16:39, Eric Lavarde - Debian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know if the CDDL [1] is an acceptable license, before I
> possibly try to package jaxb from [2] for Debian. I didn't find this
> license under [3].
>
> Thanks, Eric
>
> PS: I'm *not* on the list.
>
> [1] http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cddl1.php
> [2] https://jaxb.dev.java.net/
> [3] http://www.debian.org/legal/licenses/

You can find some license summaries collected at [1]. Also try reading the
comments about CDDL at [2]. The main concerns with CDDL  version 1.0 are:

* the choice-of-venue clause appended (you should accept of course) - you are
prone to be trialed/ sued for no good reasons in exotic
jurisdictions /possible legal bombs triggered by some lawsuit sharks/
* impossibility to apply anonymous modifications

A possible resolution seems to be a per-case basis, but again it is too far
from feasible to predict how a certain jurisdiction will change/evolve thru
the time. I personally dislike such possible hard-to-predict legal 'shifting
sands'.

The best resolution (for me) is to wait for the next version of the license...
Sun will possibly re-think these buggers over the time I hope... as they
improved the old solaris licenses if I recall corectly...

[1] http://people.debian.org/~mjr/legal/licences.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/09/threads.html

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB