Re: Clarification regarding PHP License and DFSG status

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 04:48:06 -0400 Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> Francesco Poli wrote:
>
> >>    The Zend Engine is licensed to the
> >>    PHP Association (pursuant to a grant from Zend that can be
> >>    found at http://www.php.net/license/ZendGrant/) for
> >>    distribution to you under this license agreement, only as a
> >>    part of PHP.  In the event that you separate the Zend Engine
> >>    (or any portion thereof) from the rest of the software, or
> >>    modify the Zend Engine, or any portion thereof, your use of the
> >>    separated or modified Zend Engine software shall not be governed
> >>    by this license, and instead shall be governed by the license
> >>    set forth at http://www.zend.com/license/ZendLicense/.
> >
> > This fails DFSG#3, as I'm not able to extract and/or modify the Zend
> > Engine, thus creating a derivative work of PHP+Zend and distribute
> > the result under the same terms as the license of the original
> > software.
> Everything else Francesco Poli wrote is correct.... but
> (1) the Zend engine can be distributed and modified under the
> (significantly better) Zend license.
> (2) This can be used even for the distribution of the Zend engine as
> *part of* PHP (as an alternative to the PHP license).
> (3) If this is done, derivative works can be distributed comfortably
> under the same terms.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that one can

 * purge the Zend Engine from PHP+ZendEngine (which are under the PHP
   License)
 * take the Zend Engine as distributed by Zend (that is to say, under
   the Zend License)
 * recreate the collective work PHP+ZendEngine with PHP under the PHP
   License and Zend Engine under the Zend License

Is this what you meant?

Is this what the Debian package maintainer is doing?

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4