Re: migration of wiki material: suggested licence and legal issues

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005, MJ Ray wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> > People who see that it is a problem have to take up the gauntlet;
> > Indeed, one could ask what the contributors to this thread have
> > been doing to speed this process along...
>
> I don't care enough about a wiki.debian.org which seems to consist
> of only "Immutable" pages and tells me I'm not allowed to edit a new
> page.

All of the pages I've seen recently are fully mutable; assuming you're
a valid user. Of course, the utility of wiki.d.o is limited currently
because the migration hasn't happened. If we were to stall it further
for license concerns that already affect the wiki.d.n content, it
would be worse.

> Suggesting that an answer is wrong or should be ignored because the
> poster hasn't decided to help yet is rather odd: the question was
> unsolicited too.

A solution that no one wants to implement is useless... especially
when it's one that requires blocking all other work on a project while
a single person (or small group of people) climb mount impossible.

> Indeed, one could ask what others involved with debian-wiki have
> been doing to speed the debian-legal process along... so far it
> looks like discussing it elsewhere and then a "fire and forget"
> request here.

AFAIK, no one actually "directly involved"[1] has asked for
clarification from -legal...

> > I'm willing to assist in a licensing effort along the lines of what I
> > have already indicated, but I'm not interested in stalling the
> > migration process until the authors for all of the pages in question
> > have been contacted. [...]
>
> I hope that the people involved take your offer up.

JVW is doing most of the work involved in the transition; he's got a
wiki.debian.org/MigrationStatus up and running. The legal stuff just
needs someone (possibly me) to figure out a framework[2] such that the
job of explicitely licensing the old content can be distributed, and
come up with a clear battle plan that is presented to DSA (or wikidom
in general if DSA isn't needed) to implement it.

Don Armstrong

1: Whatever that means

2: http://wiki.debian.org/WikiLicencingTerms
--
Filing a bug is probably not going to get it fixed any faster.
 -- Anthony Towns