Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 07:59:14PM -0400, Jennifer Brown wrote:

> From: Steve Langasek [mailto: vorlon@debian.org]
> >>Bearing in mind also that people don't generally put clauses in
> >>their licenses which they believe *can't* be used to their advantage.

> As I understand it choice of venue clauses are standard "boiler plate"
> language in agreements regardless of whether or not the clause has any
> known validity.

Yes, sure; I don't think irrelevant boilerplate is a *good* thing to have in
licenses, however.

> Also please forgive my ignorance but can someone give me a primer on the
> term "free" as it relates to this discussion.  Someone once told me that
> free does not necessarily mean devoid of cost and/or risk.

The shared definition of "free" used here is the one elaborated at
<http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines>.  If it wasn't already
obvious, most traffic on this list is the result of disagreements over the
application of these guidelines to corner cases. ;)