Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:
> Matthew Garrett writes:
>> But downloading a piece of software from Debian opens me up to the
>> possibility of frivolous lawsuits from the copyright holder, something
>> that did not occur before. How is that not a cost?
>
> Why did it not exist before?  Your assumption seems to be a
> sociopathic copyright owner.  I think that is an inappropriate
> assumption, but sociopaths and frivolous lawsuits are seldom rational.

Exactly. It's not a cost because exactly the same thing could happen
anyway. The same is true of choice of venue clauses - the bringer of the
suit could claim that their local venue had jurisdiction over me, even
if this isn't actually the case.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org