Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 17:22, David Nusinow wrote:
--cut--
> Furthermore, the choice of venue clauses don't impose any sort of cost on
> the freedoms we expect from software. They do impose a potential cost on
> litigation related to that software,

Please describe what do you think the potential litigation costs comprise ?

Do you believe that anti-linux or anti-gpl author of cddl software will never
try to explore the choice-of-venue clause dragging the case to a
non-veracious jurisdiction ?

> but the DFSG shouldn't be used as a
> weapon to change the legal system. It should be used to protect and
> guarantee that we have certain freedoms in relation to using, modifying,
> and distributing software. Choice of venue clauses don't change these
> freedoms.

There are real-world examples that choice-of-venue clauses could be more
dangerous than without them. I'm not sure is DFSG can catch these challenges,
but it certainly should not be read as glossary or as a bullet list with do's
and dont's.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB