Re: Problems with ntp

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 01:07:30AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> I just discovered that the ntp source is a nest of licensing problems.

> The arlib subdir isn't distributable.
> Neither is the entire libparse subdir, or anything else by Frank Kardel.

> I'm not actually sure it will build without these bits.

> So I guess NTP should be removed from Debian.  It's not very
> maintained anyhow, having multiple RC bugs open for quite a while.

What are you going to replace it with?  AFAIK, ntp is the only package
we have in Debian which supports useful clock synchronization, which is
essential for a number of other services (e.g., Kerberos).

Obviously we can't ship non-distributable code, but I'm not going to
remove ntp from testing just because it appears at first blush to be
inconsistently licensed.  The maintainers should have a chance to clear
up this question first.