Re: celestia and JPL license

Humberto Massa Guimarães wrote:
I don't think a credit line is enough to trigger DFSG#3, because
it would fall under "proper attribution of copyright" IMHO.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but the license seems to suggest that it has to be included as part of the image, not just in the documentation? For example, if you were to use one of their picures of Mars in your virtual planetatium, you'd have to put the text 'Courtesy NASA/JPL-Caltech' not in the documentation, but hovering in space below Mars.

I think I may be interpreting this clause wrong, though: there seems to be an even split between websites that do this and websites that roll it up into one credit at the bottom.

If the clause were demanding that attribution go right next to the use of the image, this would be non-free, right?

--
Lewis Jardine
IANAL, IANADD