Re: celestia and JPL license

Mathias Weyland wrote:
I don't understand what makes the JPL policy DSFG-nonfree :(

I'm guessing 'By electing to download the material from this web site the user agrees: ... 2. to use a credit line in connection with images.' is a restriction on modification (DFSG #3).

If the pictures are a work by the US government, then the JPL does not have the authority to demand this[1]; the images would actually be public domain and therefore Free. The terms in the contract/license of the website don't hamper redistribution of the images, because (not being copyrighted) you don't need JPL's permission to copy them.

[1] - http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#piu
--
Lewis Jardine
IANAL, IANADD