Re: celestia and JPL license

Mathias Weyland <mathias@weyland.ch> wrote:
> Some time ago I adopted the celestia package. The package contains textures
> which seem not to be DFSG free. (see bug #174456).
>
> It looks like the main problem is the NASA's JPL license[1]. I have two
> options now: Either I replace those textures by DFSG-free ones, or I move
> the package to non-free. I'm trying to find suitable textures for the first
> option, but unfortunately, I don't understand what makes the JPL policy
> DSFG-nonfree :(

The policy looks different to the one on the bug log.  It looks
like the current one only discriminates against JPL/Caltech
contractors.  Hopefully they'll be agreeable to making that
specific to only photos, exclude textures, or something.

1. http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/policy/index.cfm

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef