Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

David Nusinow writes:

> On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 02:56:11PM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
>> John Hasler writes:

>> > If I were to sue you for infringing the copyright on my GPL software I
>> > would file in US district court.
>>
>> FRCP 8(a) requires any such claim to explain why the court has
>> jurisdiction over the question and the defendant.  How would your
>> pleading address this?
>
> Why would US citizenship not be sufficient?

Citizenship is not relevant to personal jurisdiction.  The four
theories that can provide personal jurisdiction are presence (being
served with the notice in the forum), domicile (living there),
consent, and minimum contacts (this requires more than casual contact
over the Internet).

Michael Poole