Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Friday 09 September 2005 21:57, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:
> > On Friday 09 September 2005 21:03, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >> Oh, bollocks. The social contract is with the free software community,
> >> not just the users. Arguing that the rights of the user are the only
> >> ones that matter suggests that the GPL ought to be non-free - it
> >> restricts the rights of users in favour of the rights of developers.
> >> In the vast majority of cases, choice of venue makes it more practical
> >> for developers to justifiably enforce their licenses. The fact that it
> >> has the potential to be used against users doesn't make it evil, any
> >> more than the fact that decss can be used to facilitate DVD piracy makes
> >> it evil.
> >
> > The diff is that you can not use GPL in baseless lawsuits against users
> > and/or developers. Can you ? Do you risk your baseless adventure will be
> > severely striken back in any sane countries ? <Y/n>
>
> If I'm willing to lie (and I'd have to be to be filing a baseless
> lawsuit), then yes, I can use the GPL in baseless lawsuits against users
> and/or developers.

You can sue random people for random reasons (in some funny cases you will be
simply ruled out of court), so it is obviously not a GPL flow. But in all
cases it depends on the venue authorities. In case of their sanity: at best
you will damage your business, at worst you will start live on charity. This
has already been tested in recent lawsuit exercises.

It is unpredictable what will happend in case of jurisdiction or court
insanity and that possible danger should be avoided.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB