Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Friday 09 September 2005 21:03, Matthew Garrett wrote:
--cut--
> > That wouldn't make your argument more coherent. We're concerned
> > exclusively with which rights the *user* gets. Whether the author
> > thinks it is worth it to give the user those rights is not something
> > we consider at all. We can just observe that sufficiently many
> > software authors *have* been willing to do so that we can put together
> > a good free OS. There is no reason to start including software in our
> > OS where the user only gets freedoms with this kind of strings
> > attached.
>
> Oh, bollocks. The social contract is with the free software community,
> not just the users. Arguing that the rights of the user are the only
> ones that matter suggests that the GPL ought to be non-free - it
> restricts the rights of users in favour of the rights of developers.
> In the vast majority of cases, choice of venue makes it more practical
> for developers to justifiably enforce their licenses. The fact that it
> has the potential to be used against users doesn't make it evil, any
> more than the fact that decss can be used to facilitate DVD piracy makes
> it evil.

The diff is that you can not use GPL in baseless lawsuits against users and/or
developers. Can you ? Do you risk your baseless adventure will be severely
striken back in any sane countries ? <Y/n>

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB