Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:
> On Friday 09 September 2005 18:24, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> But that's already possible. The majority (all?) of licenses that we
>> ship don't prevent me from being sued arbitrarily. The only difference
>> that choice of venue makes is that it potentially increases the cost for
>> me. Within the UK alone, I can end up paying fairly large travel fees to
>> deal with a court case. But I'll have to pay a lot more for a lawyer.
>> Being sued in the US wouldn't be significantly more expensive for me
>> than being sued here.
>
> The problem is not only with the expensive funny lawsuit trips, you may find
> some jurisdictions and local lows quite ... let's say just strange.

That's choice of law, rather than choice of venue. I was under the
impression that it was generally accepted.

>> How do we protect against that currently?
>
> What changes the picture is that you just add new possibilities to be possibly
> attacked and as we all know sco wont be the last, it was not the smartest
> either...

So the presence of a choice of venue clause is a quantitative
difference rather than a qualitative one?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org