Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 03:35:20PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
Matthew> The legal system discriminates in favour of rich people. That's true
Matthew> regardless of license conditions.

Although I don' dispute this assertion per se, the problem at hand is that *geography*
necessarily discriminates in favor of people who are closer to such or such jurisdiction.
Such a discrimination will necessarily occur. I do not see the difference in the degree of
discrimination whether the determination of the group discriminated against is left to
international private law or a license.

The only argument I can see against choice of venue clauses is that if you distribute your
software on a worldwide basis, then you'll have to expect to enforce it's license on a worldwide
basis or to not enforce it in certain regions.

Of course, that line of reasoning might have a chilling effect on small
companies/individual developers.

I don't really think there's a perfect solution as regarding discrimination on this issue.

--
Yorick Cool
Chercheur au CRID