Re: CDDL

Scripsit Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org>

>           o 3.2. Modifications.
>             The Modifications that You create or to which You
>             contribute are governed by the terms of this License.

I think this is sloppy language - the licensor cannot unilaterally
make his license apply to code produced by the licensee; he can only
demand that the licensee does so - but I don't see it as a showstoppper.

>           o 3.3. Required Notices.
>             You must include a notice in each of Your Modifications
>             that identifies You as the Contributor of the
>             Modification.

Dissident problem here. Anonymous contributions should be allowed.

>             You may not remove or alter any copyright, patent or
>             trademark notices contained within the Covered Software,
>             or any notices of licensing or any descriptive text
>             giving attribution to any Contributor or the Initial
>             Developer.

This makes me feel slightly uneasy. It seems to say that even if I
remove all code contributed by somebody, I still have to keep their
copyright notices and attribution.

>             You hereby agree to indemnify the Initial Developer and
>             every Contributor for any liability incurred by the
>             Initial Developer or such Contributor as a result of
>             warranty, support, indemnity or liability terms You
>             offer.

Yet Another Obnoxious Indemnification Clause. Can be free only under
the theory that it is a legal no-op in all relevant jurisdictions.

>       The Covered Software is a "commercial item," as that term is
>       defined in 48 C.F.R. 2.101 (Oct. 1995), consisting of
>       "commercial computer software" (as that term is defined at 48
>       C.F.R. ? 252.227-7014(a)(1)) and "commercial computer software
>       documentation" as such terms are used in 48 C.F.R. 12.212
>       (Sept. 1995). Consistent with 48 C.F.R. 12.212 and 48
>       C.F.R. 227.7202-1 through 227.7202-4 (June 1995), all
>       U.S. Government End Users acquire Covered Software with only
>       those rights set forth herein.

All mimsy were the borogoves, and the mome raths outgrabe.

>       Any litigation relating to this License shall be subject to
>       the jurisdiction of the courts located in the jurisdiction and
>       venue specified in a notice contained within the Original
>       Software,

A choice-of-venue clause. See ongoing discussion; renders the software
non-free in my opinion.

>       The application of the United Nations Convention on Contracts
>       for the International Sale of Goods is expressly excluded.

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

>       Any law or regulation which provides that the language of a
>       contract shall be construed against the drafter shall not
>       apply to this License.

Most probably a no-op.

--
Henning Makholm             "Jeg forstår mig på at anvende sådanne midler på
                           folks legemer, at jeg kan varme eller afkøle dem,