Re: GPL, yet again. (The kernel is a lot like a shared library)

On Thursday 08 September 2005 11:38 am, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> There's an awful lot of lawyers and law professors who think that the
> GPL works. Go start by arguing with them.

Based on my readings of law review articles and the common legal arguments
surrounding the GPL, the reason it works is because the GPL is a contract.
The linking clause is a contractual term that you must agree to in order to
receive a copyright license.  Pretty standard forbearance.

I know of no legal professional, outside of the FSF, who believes the GPL
stands up as a pure copyright license.

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
3rd Year - University of Washington School of Law

So, let go
 ...Jump in
  ...Oh well, what you waiting for?
   ...it's all right
    ...'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown