Re: GPL, yet again. (The kernel is a lot like a shared library)

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 02:27:45PM -0300, Humberto Massa Guimar?es wrote:
> ** Andrew Suffield ::
> > On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 01:22:07PM -0300, Humberto Massa Guimar?es
> > wrote:
> > > 3.3. it seems to me that it's absurd to think, for instance,
> > > that Debian cannot dynamic link a GPLd program with OpenSSL.
> > > Why? Because if I write a completely-compatible MassaSSL library
> > > and install it in my system just in the same
> > > places/names/sonames/whatever OpenSSL is installed, this would
> > > change the copyright status of _the_ _program_!!
> >
> > This says that there can be no such thing as copyright
> > infringement for creating a derivative of a piece of software,
> > because you can always replace the original with a
> > reimplementation that wouldn't be infringement.
>
> my knowledge of the English language is still worse than I tought,
> because I do not have any recollection of meaning what you said _at_
> _all_.
>
> Remember: DERIVATIVE <==> TRANSFORMATION.

Word games, no change in meaning. You're saying that "Only the
verbatim copying of a copyrighted text, possibly with modifications,
can constitute copyright infringement; all other actions are legal".

The rest of your mail just ranted the same thing several times. My
point stands.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |