Re: GPL, yet again. (The kernel is a lot like a shared library)

> Here is the US definition of a derivative:
>
> ---------
> A “derivative work” is a work based upon one or more
> preexisting works, such
> as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization,
> fictionalization,
> motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction,
> abridgment,
> condensation, or any other form in which a work may be
> recast, transformed,
> or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations,
> elaborations, or other modifications, which, as a whole, represent an
> original work of authorship, is a “derivative work”.

Here is Brazilian definition of derivative, just for the kicks (*):
"art. 5º - [...] VIII - work: [...] g) derivative - the one that, while
constituting an intellectually-novel creation, is the result of a
transformation applied over the original work; [...]
(Lei 9610/98 - "Lei de Direitos Autorais"/"Author's Rights Act")
(translation mine)

(*) no, not really, but I think it's more approximate to the Berne
Convention definition, too.

--
HTH,
Massa