Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

Sven Luther wrote:
On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 03:55:56PM +0200, Dalibor Topic wrote:

Sven Luther wrote:

Notice that we already accepted a CDDLed program in debian, namely the star
packages which comes with this clause :

9. MISCELLANEOUS.

[snip]

The application of the
  United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale
  of Goods is expressly excluded.

[snip]

That's my favourite bit of lawyerese in MPL-derivative licenses.

I wish they had expressly excluded the sharia law on software licenses as practised by the late Taleban ruling Kandahar.

So, is this non-free or not ?

It's incomprehensible legalese gibberish to a mere non-lawyer mortal like me, so I can't really say.

That's a general problem of MPL-derivative licenses: they were written by lawyers for lawyers, ignoring that most developers do not have an extensive background in intimate details of international contract law, or whatever the MPL (and by inheriting the clause, CDDL) tries to avoid getting bound by.

If you are into reading funny flamewars about CDDL from other groups, see the star vs. OpenBSD thread on open bsd lists this spring.

... but before taking such actions, we should probably decide on the CDDL.

I agree.

cheers,
dalibor topic