Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

Sven Luther wrote:
Notice that we already accepted a CDDLed program in debian, namely the star
packages which comes with this clause :

9. MISCELLANEOUS.

[snip]

 The application of the
    United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale
    of Goods is expressly excluded.

[snip]

That's my favourite bit of lawyerese in MPL-derivative licenses.

I wish they had expressly excluded the sharia law on software licenses as practised by the late Taleban ruling Kandahar.

So, i wonder why it was accepted, if it was non-free. But maybe we just passed
it up silently and didn't notice ? Who was the ftp-master responsible for
letting this one enter the archive, and can he comment on this ?

I guess it was a mistake.

star used to be under the GPL, and then Joerg Schilling changed the license to CDDL. The respective change was at http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/star/news/4.html and the license change did not seem to have been discussed on debian-legal. The discussions on CDDL in 2005-01 seem to have petered out inconclusively.

cheers,
dalibor topic