Re: GPL+OpenSSL issue -- good suggestion?

On 8/30/05, Pascal Giard <evilynux@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be inclined to accept this and go with the upstream author's will;
> enable SSL and add information in the copyright file.

He's not the only upstream author of the code, so his statement is not
sufficient.

The package also includes some of Google's artwork (gmail.png).
Google's usage guidelines[1] forbid any and all modifications to their
logos ("About Our Logos - One of the conditions for all uses is that
you can't mess around with our logo. Only we get to do that.") and any
use of their "Brand Features" requires an explicit permission
statement from them. It looks like we mightn't have permission to
distribute this file even from non-free, let alone a suitably
permissive license to allow it to stay in main. Fortunately, it's just
an image of the letter "G" so it shouldn't be too hard to whip up a
replacement.

[1] http://www.google.com/permissions/guidelines.html

--
Andrew Saunders