Minimum required copyright/license for logo

Hi,

for the FreeMind package, which I am maintaining as a non-DD, upstream has
planned to use a new logotype, for which I couldn't find any license
information (see [1]). Discussing with upstream, I suggested to apply
the GPL license as the rest of the program has, against which they argued
that the logotype is not supposed to be used for other things than
FreeMind.

My current position is that any kind of license would be required to avoid
uncertainty, but I'm a bit short on arguments for my position, and I'm not
even sure it's the right argumentation. I didn't find anything specific in
the Debian policy, so I come to you.

Is a license required for such a logotype? Some arguments?
Is there a standard one applicable? (I've seen that Debian has actually
created its own [2]; a more generic one would be nice)

Thanks a lot, Eric

PS: I'm not on the list, please put me cc.

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1246974&group_id=7118&atid=307118
[2] http://debian.org/logos

--
Eric de France, d'Allemagne et de Navarre