Re: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclear copyright notice.

On Apr 8, 2005 2:44 AM, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 11:50:54AM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> > Wrong! It is perfectly legal in the United States, and I'm pretty
> > sure in your country, to distribute or redistribute copyrighted
> > works. Otherwise there wouldn't be any bookstores or newspaper
> > stands.
>
> Mmm, so you are claiming it is perfectly right to make copies of the windows
> installation CD, or for that matter to duplicate music CDs ?

That is not his claim - he did not claim, and his example makes this
perfectly clear, that it is legal to make copies of anything. Is it
illegal in your country to resell a music CD that you bought? Would
you accept, even if Microsoft claimed it were so, that it were illegal
to resell a copy of windows you no longer use?