Re: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclear copyright notice.

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 09:08 -0300, Humberto Massa wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >Debian doesn't seem to care much about the possible legal problems of
> >patents.

You have lots of "possible legal problems" of any kind. Basically
everyone can sue you for (almost) whatever he wants almost all ofth
time.

> The possible legal problem of software patents is, up to the present
> time, AFAICT, not producing effects yet in Europe, and is a non-problem

It is starting now. Basically the corporations with the masses of
software patents and patent lawyers are probably waiting for the
settling of the discussion and the ratification of the relevant
to-be-accepted laws. And the war is not over yet ...
In fact software patents are real in EUrope and they exist (though
illegally). Up to now it was a question of whether you can succeed in
court with them and which courts to go ....

> in jurisdictions like mine (down here neither business methods nor
> software are patentable).

I suspect that .br is commercially not relevant enough for this ATM. Or
the legislation is already USPTO-conform in place and nobody knows .....

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services