Re: Linux and GPLv2

Henning Makholm wrote:

 Scripsit Humberto Massa <humberto.massa@almg.gov.br>

> 2. That said plugin, when in its compiled form, if it contains at
> all any inlined functions or macros from the GPL'd
> plugin-interfaces.h file, is merely a volume of storage or
> distribution in accordance to the disposition on the GPL, section
> 2, paragraph 3.

 You have a really strange and untenable understanding of "merely",
 then.

No, but I have already explained why I firmly believe that the "merely aggregates" language in GPL#2§3 refers to all aggregate works, as opposed to the "works based on the Program" from GPL#0.

> 3. That the plugin's licensing is completely independent of the "I
> can load plugins" program's one, and that it can be licensed as the
> author sees fit.

 Yes, but not of the license for the inlined functions that get
 compiled in, providing that those are sufficiently nontrivial to
 enjoy copyright protection at all.

We'll have to agree in disagreeing :-)

Friendly -- /Really/,

Massa