Re: Combining GPL and BSD/CeCILL/whatever

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:23:29PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Jarno Elonen <elonen@debian.org> wrote:
> >  If I have a package that combines MIT/BSD-new code and GPL code, shall I
> >  include both license texts or simply replace the BSD text (save the
> >  copyright notice) with a GPL blurp?
>
> Include both, in my opinion.

I agree.  The MIT license says that the permission text must appear in
the software.

> > (And in case that's too easy, what if the previously MIT/BSD'd code is mixed
> > inseparably with the GPL'd code?)
>
> Can two pieces of code ever be inseperable?
>
> Do you mean you don't know which bits have whose copyright? Yow!

That's not particularly hard or unusual; just merge two people's code
together and let it go through a year or two of refactoring.  You can't
just leave it in the sun and let one person's code evaporate so you can
get the rest.  :)

--
Glenn Maynard