Re: Linux and GPLv2

On Mar 15, 2005, at 03:24, Kuno Woudt wrote:

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:00:24PM -0500, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
A valid concern, arguably, even if it does hinge on certain ideas about
how the computing field will evolve that I doubt will turn out to be
accurate.  But the only licenses we've seen so far that deal with this
problem (if it is a problem) give up too much freedom in exchange.  At
least, IMHO.
Can you be specific on which licenses you think attempt to deal with
this problem?

The license of POV-Ray 3.0 and 3.1 (free as in beer, source available; not free in the DFSG sense) addressed this issue in the section called "ONLINE OR REMOTE EXECUTION OF POV-Ray".

Charging for CPU time was allowed provided that the charge for POV-Ray CPU time was the same as for other CPU time. Obscuring the fact the POV-Ray was being run was prohibited. The users had to be provided with access to the files of the POV-Ray package.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi