Re: Linux and GPLv2

Kuno Woudt wrote:
> Can you be specific on which licenses you think attempt to deal with
> this problem?  So far I only know of the Affero GPL, which I already
> mentioned elsewhere in this thread, and I am curious how other license
> authors have attempted to fix this problem.

Larry Rosen's Open Software License also tries to cover this.
In article 5 it defines External Deployment as follows:

   5.      External Deployment.  The term "External Deployment" means the
   use or distribution of the Original Work or Derivative Works in any
   way such that the Original Work or Derivative Works may be accessed or
   used by anyone other than You, whether the Original Work or Derivative
   Works are distributed to those persons or made available as an
   application intended for use over a computer network.

This quite clearly is intended to cover usage on a website by an ASP.

And then article 5 goes on to say:

   As an express condition for the grants of license hereunder, You
   agree that any External Deployment by You shall be deemed a
   distribution and shall be licensed to all under the terms of this
   License, as prescribed in section 1(c) herein.

Article 1(c) is the "you may distribute, but derivatives must be
OSL as well" article.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself