Re: Linux and GPLv2

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:14:09 -0500 Glenn Maynard wrote:

[...]
> There havn't been any such bugs, though, fortunately.  Some people
> don't like the "PHP loophole" or whatever you want to call it, but I
> don't believe that's fixable in a free license,

Could you please elaborate on the "PHP loophole"?
I've never heard of it: what do you mean by that?

(feel free to change the subject or even to reply to me in private, if
you think it's better)

[...]
> > Such language is fine as long as the copyright holder and the
> > license author are the same entity.  New versions of the license are
> > likely to reflect changes in the opinions of the authors, and they
> > have every right to make provisions for a modified license to
> > automatically apply to already released works.  The danger arises
> > when people start out-sourcing the writing of licenses to third
> > parties.  The FSF has its own agenda, and has little reason to
> > consider the opinions of others, who just happen to use their
> > license texts, when writing the next version.
>
> A couple years ago, this would all have been patently false.  The FSF
> has a very strong interest in their notion of "freedom" being
> considered reliable, and having the community trust them to remain
> consistent--as they did quite well for a very long time.  A couple
> years ago, I wouldn't have had a problem with the FSF being able to
> make such changes--the alternatives are "don't fix problems" and
> "fragment GPL source", neither of which is any good.  I'd have
> considered the FSF's track record and reputation good enough to allow
> it.
>
> That's no longer the case, unfortunately.

The same happened to me.
They undermined their good reputation with the GFDL affair, IMHO.
Especially for how they are (not) dealing with it and for how much they
are (not) caring about others' opinions...  :-(((

--
          Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4