Re: Linux and GPLv2

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:38:21 +1100, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:

> I'm too tired to dig up the exact reference, but in a large heated
> discussion between Hans Reiser and many other people on d-devel last year
> (or maybe the year before) about removing or obscuring credits in
> mkreiserfs, Hans Reiser stated that he had information from RMS that there
> would be some sort of "invariant section"-like clause in GPLv3.

FWIW, RMS later posted to the list[1] stating that Hans was mistaken:

"Reiser's statement was inaccurate. For GPL version 3 we are
considering requirements for preserving certain limited author
information in the source code, and making explicit that other
GPL-compatible licenses that are present on parts of the code cannot
be removed from the source, but nothing beyond that."

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/06/msg00173.html

--
Andrew Saunders