Re: The BitTorrent Open Source License

MJ Ray wrote:
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
>
>>>* The requirement to maintain a LEGAL file.
>>
>>I don't think this one is really a problem; it's similar to the GPL
>>saying you must mark your modifications as such.
>
> This LEGAL file doesn't seem to say that we have to leave the
> contents we got untouched, does it? Then it seems OK.

That's not the issue: the main issue is that "If you obtain such
knowledge after you make any Modifications available as described in
Section 4(b), you shall promptly modify the LEGAL file in all copies you
make available thereafter and shall take other steps (such as notifying
appropriate mailing lists or newsgroups) reasonably calculated to inform
those who received the Licensed Product from you that new knowledge has
been obtained."

(It's also obnoxious that it specifies the exact mechanism by which you
must include these notices, right down to the filename, rather than just
speaking in general about "clear and conspicuous notices" or similar;
I'm not sure if that's non-free or not though.)

- Josh Triplett