Re: CC-BY : "clarification letter" ?

Francesco Poli wrote:

> Are you, as a copyright holder, considering to use a CC license?

Yes.

> I would recommend you to choose a clearly DFSG-free and urge your
> fellows to do the same.

We also want to put our work on the OpenOffice.org website. And OOo has a
rather limited set of options. For written text, the options are the
Public Documentation License and the CC-BY.

http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/PDL.html

The PDL is very inconvenient to use. There is some boilerplate that has to
be added to every file, plus an entire copy of the license. And you have
to keep track of all the changes. This last one is a significant problem
because we use a very distributed system, where each file is reviewed many
times by several different people. The PDL is also unclear about how you
combine several PDL documents. Finally, we find the PDL complicated.

For this reason, we are looking at the CC-BY.

For this reason, also, the usual suggestions won't help us.

Fixing the license so that Debian likes it is desirable, but it isn't
imperative. This work is not being done for Debian. But I think that it's
a good thing to have Debian happy if it can be accomodated.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera          | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today!  | I want it Tuesday.