Re: latex2html goes GPL? [was: Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo]

Francesco Poli wrote:
> On 06 Mar 2005 14:41:23 GMT MJ Ray wrote:
>>Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
>>>Perhaps a (wishlist?) bug should be file against the latex2html
>>>package. What do you think?
>>
>>Such a good idea that Roland Stigge already did it:
>>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=221703
>
> Well, I admit I didn't dig into the BTS before suggesting that...   :p
>
> Good news: wishlist bug is already filed.
> Bad news: there seems to be no progress since January 2004.
>
> I'm writing to Roland right now to ask for clarifications...

> Relicensing a special Debian version would actually be equivalent to a
> general GPL'ed licensing for latex2html, IMHO (and would require the
> same amount of upstream work to do).

Actually, a simple email from the upstream author has been considered in
the past to be sufficient authorization for a license change.  If
upstream were to send an email saying something to the effect of "I
hereby relicense all versions of latex2html under the GNU GPL, version
2.", I believe that would be sufficent.

- Josh Triplett