Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>> Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>>> But how do you argue that a hand-crafted binary is sufficiently
>>> modifiable without also admitting the possibility that the output
>>> of a C compiler may be sufficiently modifiable?
>>
>> I think it depends what the upstream author is using as source.
>> How about you?
>
> Why does it depend on what the upstream author is using as source? How
> does that affect the recipient's ability to modify the work?

One way to think about it is that one's ability to modify a work using a
particular source is better indicated by the author's choice of source
than J. Random User's.

In other words, what the author chooses as source is a good predictor of
what other folks are best off using as source.  I'm not willing to
override the author's opinion without a _very_ good reason, and even
then only on a case-by-case basis with lots of discussion.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>