Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:11:38 -0800 Michael K. Edwards wrote:

> It's good to encourage people to use sophisticated workflow when
> creating images, as when creating software.  But we don't call
> software non-free when it isn't developed using Extreme Programming
> methodology or UML modeling, not least because these techniques are
> overkill for most module-scale programming projects.  And we shouldn't
> call images non-free just because they weren't shot Camera RAW,
> imported to a Photoshop clone, and manipulated losslessly at every
> stage.

I think you're missing the point that, when upstream author really
prefers to modify an image using a lossy compressed format, then that
format *is* the source for the image.
This follows from the "preferred form for modification" definition of
source code.

Issues arise when authors keep suitable formats to modify images, but
fail to provide the form that they prefer.

--
          Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4