Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

MJ Ray wrote:
>I still feel that [nv] falls into a "free but not
very good" category, but I think I would be convinced
by an FSF position on this.

Here is the answer to my mail to the FSF, if you still
care:

>I think that debian-legal is asking the right
quesiton here: is this really what the NVidia hackers
are writing?
Looking at the code, I guess that the answer is yes.
They're probably looking at docs which say "Address of
primary frobulator: 0xdeadbeef". Then, just as they're
about to write "#define primary_frobulator_address
0xdeadbeef", their boss comes in and says "don't
disclose any information unnecessarily."  So, they
erase that and just use 0xdeadbeef everywhere.
But that's just a guess.
--
-Dave "Novalis" Turner
GPL Compliance Engineer

I am naturally disapointed by the answer, but I
thought I has to mention it for honesty's sake. I'll
just watch how the discusion turns out now.
Bye,

Camille d'Alméras